Health / MindTuesday, July 22, 2014 6:00 AM
Relax your body and mind
What is the difference between Salt and Sugar Scrubs for face & body? When should you use each? What are the benefits? These are some of the questions we asked Dr. Marina Peredo, associate clinical professor of dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York and founder of Spatique Medical Spa. Dr. Peredo shares her expert insight on the subject below.
- The difference between salt and sugar scrubs is the size of the granules. The smaller the granules, the gentler they are on the skin. Generally, sugar particles are smaller, making them less abrasive on the skin.
- Sugar scrubs are best used for people with sensitive skin or any skin conditions including rosacea, acne and eczema.
- Salt scrubs are much coarser in texture and are best used on thick, rough patches of skin like callused elbows, knees and feet.
- Salt scrubs can also be beneficial for harsh acne breakouts as they help in absorbing oil and unclogging pores.
- Sugar scrubs are preferable to use on the face as opposed to salt scrubs. The skin on our [...]