10 Foods to Avoid for a Better SmileMonday, October 22, 2012 6:00 AM
A famed dentist dishes
A big part of feeling confident is having a nice, bright smile so we turned to former White House periodontist Dr. Nicholas Toscano for dental care tips. Here he dishes on what 10 foods to avoid for the ultimate smile.
1. Corn on the Cob Corn on the cob is notoriously messy. Like those leafy greens, corn kernels are guaranteed to get lodged in your teeth, and you can’t help but end up with butter and corn smashed all over your face.
2. Anything with Seeds Poppy, strawberry and sesame seeds find lodging in every tooth cranny.
3. Beans For obvious reasons, and last thing anyone wants is gas.
4. Spinach – gotta keep your smile clean. Laughing and smiling with green critters in your teeth is enough to even turn off popeye.
5. Garlic and Onions Most of us know to steer clear of this duo, but it’s hard to do when sometimes it’s hidden as a flavor-enhancing ingredient. Raw onions are worse than cooked, with a lingering punch that is much harder to get rid of.
6. Spicy Foods – some may find sweating through a workout is sexy; a meal is not a workout.
7. Ribs Ribs turn you into a sauce-covered carnivore that’s just plain messy.
8. Red Meat Red meat can sometimes leave a funky taste in your mouth, not to mention those hard to pick out pieces that get stuck between your teeth. If you want that kiss avoid the steak and go with chicken.
9. Carbonated drinks - causes belching and bloating.
10. Spaghetti and other long strand pastas in sauces - awkward to eat and usually has garlic.
Dish with us: Are there any foods you avoid when you’re focused on a perfect smile?